In 2015, the number of global cell-phone subscriptions will surpass the number of people on this earth — and it took a little more than 20 years for that to happen. Yet at the same time, health systems around the world are struggling to:
- Provide access to affordable healthcare for all
- Treat infectious diseases such as Ebola, HIV/AIDS, Malaria, and Tuberculosis
- Address crippling maternal and child mortality rates in low-income countries
- Manage non-communicable diseases like heart disease, cancer, and diabetes
- Tackle infrastructure and supply chain challenges in remote settings
- Train frontline health workers to provide care to vulnerable populations
Increasingly, Ministries of Health, companies, NGOs, and various bilateral and multilateral donors are looking to mobile phones as part of a solution for responding to these challenges.
This four-week online certificate course will focus on building mHealth skills that revolutionize approaches to patient care and management, point-of-care support, health education, remote monitoring, diagnostics, supply chain management & logistics and more.
A growing number of mHealth projects have been implemented across the world from Guatemala to Uganda, from India to Argentina – we will explore what has worked and what could be improved with each example and invite participants to share their own experiences in managing ongoing projects.
Course Topics and Featured Tech
- Week 1: Introduction to Mobile Phones for Public Health
- Week 2: Strengthening Health Systems
- Week 3: Citizen-Centered Health
- Week 4: The Future of mHealth
At the conclusion of the course, participants will be able to:
- critically analyze both the opportunities and the pitfalls that emerge when working with mobile technology to improve public health outcomes.
- connect relevant development theories to the technological strategies and tools discussed in the course
- manage specific mHealth software platforms and tools
- design dynamic and effective strategies for using tools and platforms improve mHealth efforts
- develop critical self-confidence for working with mobile technology to public health challenges.
- This course is delivered entirely online over a period of four weeks.
- This course features several live interactive expert presentations each week with leading practitioners, software developers, academics, and donors.
- Every live event is recorded and archived for you to watch later.
- This course also features a unique hands-on learning environment with animated videos, technology demos, practical activities, networking events, office hours, participant presentations, immersive simulations, and more.
- TechChange recommends budgeting a minimum commitment of 5-7 hours per week and scheduling time for the course around your existing obligations.
- Participants will have access to all course content for at least 4 months after course completion so the material can be completed and revisited later.
- $395 if application and payment is submitted by October 16, 2015
- $445 if application and payment is submitted by October 30, 2015
- $495 if application and payment is submitted by start of course.
- Group discount rates available. For more details, please contact us at info [at] techchange.org
- If you are not happy with your course experience for any reason, TechChange is happy to offer you a full refund. Read more in the FAQ section
Kendra is a development professional passionate about integrating mobile technologies in response to social challenges. She specializes in global public health programs, particularly those targeting quality improvement of reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health services, elimination of mother-to-child transmission of HIV, and meeting the information and training needs of frontline health workers. She has experience in mHealth program scale-up in Southern Province, Zambia, as well as donor policy with the USAID Office of Health Systems. She holds an MPH from Boston University School of Public Health, and is an aspiring “techie” through independent study.
I would highly recommend TechChange’s Mobile Phones for Public Health. The course brings together an impressive array of researchers and practitioners who are passionate about MobileHealth. The course utilizes impressive learning platform that is highly interactive and attracts a diverse cohort of participants from around the world. I absolutely love the learning platform.
- Dr. Kerry-Ann Hamilton, Howard University
I am highly recommending this course to all friends, colleagues and agencies involved with the use of mobile technology.
- Benjamin Flomo, Mercy Corps - Liberia
I gained a lot of insight for my work especially regarding how mhealth can complement other activities to strengthen health systems and support healthcare providers. If technology is being used, it should be used in a purposeful manner to improve the overall health of the population we serve and not to serve as pretty window dressing.
- Dr. Pamela Marks, HIV/AIDS Improvement Team Lead, URC QPI Division, USAID ASSIST Project
The course was well designed, useful to me who is engaged in mHealth activities in my country. I learned a lot of things, and I now am more knowledgeable on mHealth issues than before. For anyone to appreciate mHealth, you need to take this course which is an eye opener.
- Flora Hainde, Public Health (Senior Training Officer) FHI 360 - Zambia
Here is a learning platform that is designed completely for the convenience of the individual – you can participate in as many sessions as you can and still have opportunity to catch up on those you’ve missed even 4 months after completing the course. You can even rate your performance by the tech points earned and look at what others have earned – which is a great way to motivate or encourage participation.
- Apera Iorwa, Project Manager for mHealth Alliance - Nigeria